Posted on: 22/09/2022
We have established this page to provide updates related to announcements by the UK Government as they plan to help customers with their energy bills.
The Government have expanded on their plans to support UK businesses and protect them against rising wholesale costs in an announcement yesterday morning. Under the Energy Bill relief scheme, eligible customers will receive a discount on their gas and electricity unit prices, calculated by comparing the estimated wholesale portion of the unit price that would be paid this winter against a baseline ‘Government supported price’.
If you are a customer, there is no need to contact us as we will automatically be applying your discount according to the Government’s scheme.
As we digest the details and await further guidance to implement the scheme across our SmartestEnergy Limited and SmartestEnergy Business customers, we would like to share the below key points that have been confirmed by the Government:
- For eligible customers, discounts will be applied for a six-month period for energy usage between the 1st October 2022 and 31st March 2023.
- Support in the form of a p/kWh discount will be automatically applied to bills. Please be mindful of scams if you receive any communications requesting your bank details.
- The scheme applies to all businesses, charities and public sector customers who are:
- On a fixed price contract, signed on or after the 1st April 2022
- On deemed or variable tariffs
- On a flexible contract
- For all non-domestic energy users in Great Britain this government supported price has been set at £211 per megawatt hour (MWh) for electricity and £75 per MWh for gas.
For further information about the how the discount will be calculated and applied for your supply contract, please visit Gov.uk. SmartestEnergy will share further updates regarding the scheme over the coming weeks.
Want to know more?
To keep up to date with UK Government plans, you can view the latest news via these national and industry media sources:
Need to reach us?
Small and medium business customers – SmartestEnergy Business Limited: If you have any questions about your existing contract, please await further information and visit this page for regular updates.
I&C Customers – SmartestEnergy Limited: If you have any questions about your existing contract, please contact your dedicated Account Manager or Customer Services Executive.
Smart Generation Customers – SmartestEnergy Limited: If you have any questions about your existing contract, please contact your dedicated Account Manager or Customer Services Executive.