Posted on: 25/07/2017
Great Britain’s largest electricity distributor, UK Power Networks, has launched a consultation on its strategy for a future electricity grid.
The company has outlined how it plans to switch from being a Distribution Network Operator (DNO) to a Distribution System Operator (DSO).
Basil Scarsella, Chief Executive at UK Power Networks, said: “We are on the verge of a change as significant for electricity as the advent of broadband was for telecommunications.
“We are working with policy makers, regulators, academia, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and importantly customers to lay the foundations for an exciting future, which will place customers in control of energy usage.”
The five-point plan unveiled by the firm – which serves customers in London and the South-East and East of England – consists of:
- facilitating cheaper and quicker connections using proven innovation;
- using customer flexibility as an alternative to network upgrades;
- developing enhanced system operator capabilities;
- collaborating with industry to enable Great Britain-wide benefits;
- and preparing and facilitating the uptake of electric vehicles