SmartestEnergy US LLC ("Company" or "We") respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website smartestenergy.com (our "Website") and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this website
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this website
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the website
California Resident Provisions
Certain provisions of the policy apply only to residents of the state of California and are clearly labelled as such. Otherwise, the policy applies to all our users of the website and services from the United States, regardless of their location unless otherwise excluded. To see the specific provisions applicable to California residents, click here.
Children Under the Age of 16
Our website is not intended for children under 16 years of age. No one under age 16 may provide any information on the website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are under 16, do not use or provide any information on this website or through any of its features, register on the website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or username you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us at [email protected]
California residents under 16 years of age may have additional rights regarding the collection and sale of their personal information. Please click here to read more about your California Privacy Rights for more information.
European Union Residents Should Not Use This Website
SmartestEnergy US LLC is a company separate from our UK affiliate and does not offer any services to residents of the UK or European Union. If you are a resident of the UK or European Union, you should not use this site. We do not knowingly collect personal information from residents of the UK or European Union. If you are a resident of the European Union, do not provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or username you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a UK or European Union resident, we will delete that information. If you are a resident of the European Union and believe that some Private Personally Identifying Information exists on our website about you, please contact us at [email protected] so that we may arrange for its deletion.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our website, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, electric meter number, credit status, DUNS number; accessibility requirements for web page usage; language preference and your account number ("personal information")
- That is about you but individually does not identify you, such as your electricity usage; your energy broker; and your broker’s license number
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our website, and usage details
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies
- From third parties, for example, our brokers
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our website may include:
Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website. For entities that are not yet a customer, this includes information provided when you supply your contact information or request further services. For existing customers, it would include any information you provide though our website and associated application or over the phone or by email. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses) if you contact us
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our website and of the fulfillment of your orders. You may be required to provide financial information before placing an order through our website
- Your search queries on the website
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, "posted") on public areas of the website or transmitted to other users of the website or third parties (collectively, "User Contributions"). Your user contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the website with whom you may choose to share your user contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your user contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the website
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type
The information we collect automatically does not include personal information. It helps us to improve our website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our website according to your individual interests
- Speed up your searches
- Recognize you when you return to our website
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash cookies. Certain features of our website may use local stored objects (or flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see ‘Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information’
- Web Beacons. Pages of our the website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity)
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our website and its contents to you
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection
- To notify you about changes to our website or any products or services we offer or provide though it
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information
- For any other purpose with your consent
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of SmartestEnergy US LLC's assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by SmartestEnergy US LLC's about our website users is among the assets transferred
- To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have not opted out of these disclosures. We contractually require these third parties to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them. For more information, see ‘Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information’.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of SmartestEnergy US LLC., our customers, or others
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Disclosure of your information for third-party advertising. If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt-out by sending us an email with your request to [email protected]
We do not control third parties' collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI") on the NAI's website.
Accessing and Correcting Your Information
You may send us an email at [email protected] to request access to, correct or delete any personal information that you have provided to us. We cannot delete your personal information except by also deleting your user account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls. Any payment transactions will be encrypted.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the website.
SmartestEnergy US, LLC
333 W. Washington Ave. Suite 140.
Syracuse, NY 13202
By email: [email protected]